Living with the English (part four)

I'm trying to get a bank account here in England, and that is turning out to be quite difficult!

As I have no banking record in England, they need a utility bill in my name, as proof of address. But at the moment all our utility bills are all in T's name.

I've been to HSBC 3 times now and the first time I was told that, since I'm coming from abroad and have transferred my benefit claim to here, I would just need my passport as proff of ID, one of the utility bills and the papers from the JobCentre plus my papers from Denmark.

The second time I went there, they told me that I had to have a utility bill in my name, or..I forget what it was, anyway.

Today I was told that if I bring a letter of introduction from T and also a letter about council tax, as proof of address, then they could take me on.

Not even the fact that I had 3 benefit checks was enough to sway them. Sheesh, this is so ridiculous!

And don't even get me started on how difficult it was to get those checks! Which money was actually supposed to go into T's account, because I gave them that acc. number when I signed on to the JobCentre - but they sent me checks nevertheless!! Bloody idiots!!

Tuesday, September 20, 2005 posted by Wardi @ 1:33 PM